RNGR.net is sponsored by the USDA Forest Service and Southern Regional Extension Forestry and is a colloborative effort between these two agencies.

U.S. Department of Agriculture USDA Forest Service Southern Regional Extension Forestry Southern Regional Extension Forestry

Forestry and Tree Planting in Virginia

Garrison, C. E. Tree Planters' Notes 55(2):24-33. 2012.

Virginia (including the lower Chesapeake Bay) occupies 27.3 million acres (11 million hectares), 58 percent of which is forested (15.8 million acres or 6.4 million hectares). Most of the forest land is owned by more than 373,600 private individuals and families. The remaining 42 percent of the State is nonforest land, composed of agricultural and urban lands, as well as water. More than 75 percent of the State’s forest land is stocked by hardwood forests. Regarding area of softwood forests, nearly two-thirds of stands are of planted origin. The most common plantation species by far is loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.), while eastern white pine (P. strobus L.) makes up a distant second. Major forest types in Virginia are oak/hickory, loblolly and shortleaf pine, maple, beech, and birch. Annually, the two State nurseries plant, grow, and sell 25 million tree seedlings across 40 species. Most of the seedlings (23.5 million) are softwoods—primarily loblolly pine. Virginia has an active and vibrant tree research and improvement program that is highly appreciated by forest landowners.

Download this file:

PDF document Download this file — PDF document, 1154Kb


Author(s): Carl E. Garrison, III

Publication: Tree Planters' Notes - Volume 55, Number 2 (2012)

Volume: 55

Number: 2