RNGR.net is sponsored by the USDA Forest Service and Southern Regional Extension Forestry and is a colloborative effort between these two agencies.

U.S. Department of Agriculture USDA Forest Service Southern Regional Extension Forestry Southern Regional Extension Forestry

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Home Publications National Nursery Proceedings 2001 Nursery Practices in Tennessee

Nursery Practices in Tennessee

Tennessee is a hardwood state; 87% of the state's 13,000,000 forested acres are hardwood. The remaining 13% are Pine or Mixed Hardwood-Pine forest types. There are approximately 1,000,000 more forested acres today that there were in 1950. Most of this increase is related to abandoned hillside farmland. Tennessee has two nurseries: one near Jackson in West Tennessee; the other in Tennessee's southeastern most county, near Chattanooga. Between the two, 25,000,000 conifer and 3,500,000 deciduous 1-0 bareroot seedlings are grown. The East Tennessee Nursery near Chattanooga grows the conifers while the West Tennessee Nursery grows the deciduous seedlings. Deciduous seedling sales the last five-year have been very good. Reforestation deciduous seedling sales have increased from 500,000 in 1995 to 2,500,000 in FY 2000. Non-reforestation deciduous seedlings have remained at less than 500,000 during the same period. This increase in deciduous seedling sales is due to high stumpage prices during this period. As stumpage increases, reforestation interest increases. Water quality concerns are another reason for the increase in deciduous seedling demand. Carbon sequestration has had a positive impact. One individual last week ordered $100,000 worth of hardwood seedlings for this purpose. Federal wetland reclamation programs are still another reason for the increase.

Download this file:

PDF document Download this file — PDF document, 95Kb


Author(s): Paul Ensminger

Publication: National Nursery Proceedings - 2001

Event: Western Forest and Conservation Nursery Association Conference
2001 - Durango, CO